Enabling "Kid Mode" on your iPhone/iPad

A couple months ago, I googled how to set up my iPad so that Porter could watch a movie and not be able to touch the screen and have it aff...

A couple months ago, I googled how to set up my iPad so that Porter could watch a movie and not be able to touch the screen and have it affect the movie, or be able to push the home button and close out the video app. I searched and searched and found nothing. I even looked into finding an iPad case that would cover the screen and the buttons as well, and couldn't find one of those either. 
SO, thanks to Pinterest, I've finally figured it out! And because I think every single person with an iPad/iPhone and a toddler needs this info, here's a step by step of how to "kid proof" your iPad :)

First, go to your settings tab.
 Next, click on General (in the left column) and then Accessibility (in the right column).
 In Accessibility, go down to "Learning" and tap "Guided Access".
 Click guided access "ON". Next, set a passcode for while you are using it, in order to be able to turn it off once it's on.
I couldn't take any more screen shots of actually using the function (not sure why), but I will do my best to explain it without pictures. 
So when you've turned Guided Access on, in order to actually use it, go into an app that you want to use, whether it be a game or a movie or whatever. When you're in the app, triple click the home button. After doing so, a menu will appear on your screen. In that menu, you can choose to turn off touch, or just turn off being able to use the home button. For example, if it's a game you are trying to use, just turn off the home button use. If it's a movie, turning off the home button as well as touch would be beneficial. When you have the settings how you want them, tap "start" at the top of the screen. 
The app will resume. When you want to turn off Guided Access, triple click the home button again and it will prompt you to type in the password you set (if you chose to set one). You can then turn it off.

Tada! Hopefully other people will find this as useful as I do! :)

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hey Joan! Thanks for stopping by Mrs. Mama. I really love this post. I'm going to send it to my sister who has this problem with her 1 year old who loves to watch Barney on her phone but ends up clicking out of it. Thanks for sharing. Following back :) Ashley @ Mrs. Mama
    http://aprichards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics Alternative

Flickr Images