I can never think of a good title...

Another long day. 11 hours of nannying. Now Lily's here for the weekend :) She has school all day tomorrow, then we have dinner in Den...

Another long day. 11 hours of nannying.

Now Lily's here for the weekend :) She has school all day tomorrow, then we have dinner in Denver, and Saturday I think i'll take her to the children's museum downtown.

I miss my boyfriend :( I didn't see him until I got home, and then he left right away for Vail to see Yamn tonight and go snowboarding tomorrow (it's opening day tomorrow there). He'll be back tomorrow for the dinner we are going to though.

So, a lot of you know already about the dang hives I've been getting since I got pregnant. Lately, my feet and palms have been itching like CRAZY (like, I itch them and itch them and itch them and it still doesn't feel relieved) and I've noticed there are no hives in either place when they itch, so I did a little research online to see what I could find out about it. This is what I've stumbled upon. It's called Cholestasis of Pregnancy. If you click on the link, you can read all about it, but here's what it is in a nutshell-

Pregnancy hormones affect gallbladder function, resulting in slowing or stopping the flow of bile. The gallbladder holds bile that is produced in the liver, which is necessary in the breakdown of fats in digestion. When the bile flow is stopped or slowed down, this causes a build up of bile acids in the liver which can spill into the bloodstream.

So a symptom of this is itching palms and feet...which according to the mom I nanny for (who just so happens to be an obstetrician), this is about the only thing that is known to cause those symptoms. To test for it, they take blood to test the amount of bile or something, and they do an ultrasound on the liver to see if it is functioning normally. If it turns out that this is the problem I'm having, there are medicines they put you on to help the liver function normally...because while it's not a risk to me as the mother- just an itching annoyance- it poses harmful risks to the fetus. Which usually means being induced about 3 weeks early (apparently most of the risks are at the very end of the pregnancy, so they induce early to make sure that nothing happens in the last few weeks). UGH. I also read that usually most doctors just write these symptoms off as common hormonal issues, but i'm going to get the bloodwork done to make sure. They do say that this problem is rare this early in the pregnancy, but rare doesn't mean it doesn't happen this early ever. So hopefully this is NOT what my problem is, but if it is, I am glad I did my research and will be able to control this and most likely prevent anything bad from happening to my baby :(



Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs
Please vote every day...for my awesome blog....come on....do itttt :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Google Analytics Alternative

Flickr Images